Assemblyman Christopher Ward’s and Senator Scott Wiener’s bill AB 223: Change of gender and sex identifier (and name, even though they cut that part out in the title) could be heard as soon as tomorrow, June 29. AB 223 will let adults file petitions for name, gender, and sex ID changes on behalf of minors confidentially, rather than be part of the public record or domain, and will completely circumvent the sealing process which affords “interested parties,” e.g. parents, guardians, family members, etc., due process or notice and an opportunity to be heard in relation to the petition. Here is a link to my LIVE explaining the bill, what it means, and how to oppose it.
WHAT TO DO RN:
- PERK / FLTJ Oppose AB223 One-Click Campaign: https://p2a.co/tqnrdew
- Call every Senator and leave a vm anytime before 9 a.m. tomorrow. There are 40. It will take you less than 20 mins. Is a child’s life worth 20 minutes? I think so!
- ID yourself if you’re a constituent if you are one (or know of a zip in the senator’s area 🥸. If you are not or do not know one, do no stay either way. They cannot erase vm’s that ar potentially from constituents.
- Register your opposition to AB223 (and 957 and 665).
- Ask the Senator to vote “NO” or Abstain.
- List of California Senators: https://www.senate.ca.gov/senators
- Email every Senator. Just copy and paste your email, “Dear Senator…” and insert Senator.LastName@senate.ca.gov.
- RISE UP to kill this bill!
If you want to listen to or watch the Senate Floor Session:
- Call Toll Free: 1–877–810–9415, Access Code: 2126244
- Watch Live: https://www.senate.ca.gov/calendar
- We do not know if AB 223 is going to be heard tomorrow. It is on the Daily File (agenda, Item No. 71) and has a jockey; however, could be held over to another day, ESPECIALLY if register MASSIVE opposition and scare the authors into believing that they do not have enough votes and need more time to “whip” them up, or to amend the bill further.
- You cannot register any opposition at these hearings. This is the opportunity for Senator’s to vote, only. However, you can see how your rep does, if s/he asks any of the questions or concerns you asked or raised, see how others move and respond. This is how you get to know the legislators!
- It is extremely difficult to kill bills our extremist Democratic supermajority (32 to 8) Senate. However, we are winning, this bill is horrifying, so we will try!
- If this bill passes out of the Senate it will go back to its house of origins – Assembly – for a concurrence vote, since it was amended June 5 after being passed out of it. We have an even better opportunity to kill the bill there.
Repeat Steps 1-4 above:
- List of California Assemblymembers